Baby Dragon Rattle – finally!

Well here it is…finally…if it took me much longer to finish it would not have been ready for the baby shower on Saturday!  I have been busy, really I have, just not with things anyone wants to hear about, like mucking out the ducks and chickens cages and my normal, everyday life.  So I’ve had this Baby Dragon Rattle pattern saved for a quite a while now and knew, one day, I would get to try it out….someone I knew was bound to get pregnant during this long, cold Winter!  I decided to go with Spring Green (0672) for the body and Paddy Green (0368) for all the spikes, both yarns are Red Heart, Super Saver acrylic.   I used a 3.25mm/D/10 sized crochet hook.  I thought since we are expecting a little baby boy, green would work nicely.  Here are some shots of how my version of  Baby Dragon Rattle turned out.

SONY DSC SONY DSC SONY DSC SONY DSC

I’m pretty happy with how my dragon rattle turned out.  It took patience to attach all the spikes but they fell into place and the pattern was easy to follow and worked up nicely. The pattern’s creator, Kristi of Sidrun, also included helpful hints and photos, very nice. 🙂

You may ask; why does he look so different from the originals in the pattern?  Well that is because I could not follow the directions precisely.  I didn’t have a “Kinder Surprise plastic egg” as called for in the materials list, in fact, I do not even know what that is but I had an idea of my own to try.  A while back when my husband was taking his daily medication, the sound his bottles made reminded me of a baby rattle, so I’ve been saving his empties for just such an occasion!!  The pill bottles have locking, child-proof lids so I figured that is a safety feature, right?  I peeled off the label and put some beads inside and wrapped the bottle in Duck Tape and voilà a safe, somewhat waterproof center for a crocheted baby rattle!

SONY DSC

It worked perfectly with this pattern’s body circumference, however I did have to add four rows to the body section at Row 14 making my dragon a bit taller than the pattern originals.  Since my dragon was so tall, I rearranged the spikes to run straight down starting from his head, giving me an extra spike to add to his back.  All-in-all this pattern worked up quickly, it was just my distracted life that made it take so long!   I plan on making another one of these babies in blue for another new baby, so many baby boys lately!

Until next time, have a great day and happy hooking!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s